Wednesday, November 4, 2009

When the light makes it loud...

I think I have developed adult-onset sensitivity issues. What do I mean? Well, over time, I seem to have become overly sensitive to clutter: real, visual, colourful...you name it. My disorder has real signs and symptoms to go with it, though it needs a name.  Here's what I've figured out:




  • Diagnosis: unknown


  • Signs and symptoms: agitation, restlessness and a feeling of crankiness when surrounded by harsh stimuli such as excess colour and decorations (i.e. holiday decor like pumpkins, black glittered objects, and empty Halloween candy wrappers).

  • Frequency and Duration: As long as one is exposed to excess stimuli, symptoms will persist.

  • Cause: It is thought that surrounding oneself in soft colour (as I have in my house) contributes to the development of this condition. One gets used to the serenity of pastels, whites and a neutral palette and develops a resistance to bolder hues and plentiful accessories.

  • Complications: People who share this affliction tend to run into difficulties and relapses because they may continue to be drawn to more vibrant colour and can also be prone to collecting too many objects. These individuals tend to notice an intensity in symptoms near the end of a holiday like Halloween and Christmas.
  • Treatment: Symptoms subside when one pares back the clutter and/or extra colour and accessories and returns to a more soothing colour palette. Also, visual therapy, like gazing at the following images often proves comforting:



Considering my love of colour and accessories (I never said I didn't like it!), I will still fill my home with them and feel that same uneasiness come New Years.
 Some people never learn!

**********************************
(image sources: top, unknown. All others: www.coastalliving.com )

What about you, do you embrace colour and the excess of the holidays; or do you suffer from my un-named affliction?

 
coompax-digital magazine