Friday, January 9, 2009

About Restyled Home...and me!


In May 2006, I started a staging and home decorating business, Restyled Home, in Nova Scotia, Canada, and combined with writing about home styling and design, began to live my creative dream. Fast forward to today, and I have focused my career on writing and contributing features for decorating magazines including Holiday with Matthew Mead (Executive Editor) and Flea Market Style 2010 (serving as Editor-at-Large). If you are interested in finding out more about my writing services, please contact me at linda@restyledhome.ca



"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing." ~Harriet Braiker

My style philosophy is to have fun with decorating your home - not take it all too seriously - and to inject your own personal style into your home. If you are unsure of colours, look to your wardrobe; chances are, if you enjoy wearing a particular colour, you will also enjoy it in your home. If you feel your home is beginning to look like everyone else's, or like you copied the look exactly from a magazine, throw something unexpected into the mix. Showcase your collections in a way that honours them, and use a favourite piece as a jump-off point for the space. My own style is a blend of what I love and what I can afford. Would I decorate differently if my budget was very generous? Sure, but I would still comb flea markets, thrift shops, and antique shops for my favourite vintage pieces. While I definitely seem to have a penchant for watery shades of blue, it was a direction that was never planned. Instead, I gravitated naturally to the cooler, fresh palette...seeking the calm that it inspires in me. When shopping for my home, I am not a colour purist, and indeed, gravitate to many colours. Ultimately, I buy what I love and make it work in my home. Seasonal decorating is great for accommodating this, and I am known for changing things up seasonally.

If you have decorating questions, I do my best to answer short inquiries via email.

If you want to read more about my design ethic, have a look at the following posts:
Style Me Pretty

*******************************************
Linda MacDonald
 
coompax-digital magazine