Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Decorating Tips

photo source: Cookie Mag.com

Not one to profess that I am the foremost expert on decorating, instead I simply share my philosophy on interior styling. I believe that decorating one's home should be enjoyable, not stressful.
  • I believe that you can have style on a realistic budget.

  • I believe a realistic budget does not equate the silly high/low stories you read in decor mags, that consider a $5000 bedroom makeover (not including furniture) a steal.

  • I believe that you can shop from your own home and rearrange the placement of furniture and get a whole new, great look.

  • I believe that thrift shops, flea markets, dollar stores and yard sales are not sources for junk, but actually treasures.

  • I believe that repurposing items with a little bit of paint (spray paint is a favourite) and a bit of elbow grease can reinvent them and add serious style.
  • I believe that changing accessories, window treatments, and bedding seasonally, breathes new life into your home and you!

  • I believe that rules are meant to be carefully broken, because sometimes rules offer great guidance, and other times lead to a herd mentality and sheer boredom. If your home looks like every other person's you know, it is time to inject some of your own personality within.

  • I believe that accessories are a frugal decorator's best friend. While we can't all pay high prices for quality furniture, we can usually scrape up enough to buy a fun accessory, or the materials to make it ourselves.

  • I believe that pretty is a wonderful alternative to beautiful, and may be a more realistic goal when decorating our home, especially if our decorating budget is not so pretty.
If you want to read some of my favourite decorating tips, and/or inspiration, have a look at the following:


photo source: Shoot Factory.com







Small Space Solutions:

 
coompax-digital magazine