Thursday, January 15, 2009

What Oprah, Martha and I have in common...


  • What if a product you designed and created was on the wish list of celebrities and dignitaries?
  • Can you imagine being invited to the Martha Stewart show(among others) to share it?
  • As an artist, have you ever dreamed that big?

Well, Jera Deal of Sticks and Stones and her unique art is, was and has. Jera (along with her husband, Brad) is the owner and artist behind Sticks and Stones
In her own words, "Sticks and Stones started in a neat way: We would take our girls 'letter hunting' when they were learning the alphabet. We'd look for letters in our environment. When I needed that perfect gift for a teacher's wedding, I decided to frame her new last name using our 'letters'. It was a huge hit and life hasn't been the same since. I've been a guest on Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray...we've also been featured in BHG, O Magazine, People, and NPR."

(above two photos: courtesy, CreateSticks and Stones.com)

According to their website, "Sticks and Stones began as an alphabet lesson for Brad and Jera Deal's daughters. The family began 'letter hunting' while on walks or while spending the day at the park. They would look for different "letters" in nature (STICKS) and architecture (STONES). They began taking photographs to remember their adventures, creating a collection of letters based on the family's hobby."

Jera contacted me recently about her product, and graciously offered to make me a Sticks and Stones original. The process involved choosing a word to be matted, then selecting the individual letters from her gallery - each photographed from architectural elements seen on their family walks. The final product can be done in black and white or sepia (mine is black and white). I love not only the finished product, but also the creative process that lies behind it. I also love that a mum who, in the beginning, was simply trying to further her children's learning of the alphabet and spend time with them in nature, has been able to build a multi-million dollar company by doing something she loves.

Imagine my delight when my Sticks and Stones original arrived in the mail recently, wrapped beautifully, and bearing a nickname that is very special to me: Sweet Pea. I am so proud of my gift, and have hung it in my bedroom where I can be reminded of the thoughtfulness and generosity of someone so very far away. I salute Jera the entrepreneur, mother and wildly successful business woman. I hope you will check out her website, and if you have someone in your life who is difficult to buy for; or are simply looking for the perfect Valentine's, wedding, anniversary or birthday gift, then you just might have found it! Like Jera says, "It is less expensive than most fine jewelry, lasts longer than flowers...and Martha and Oprah like it!"

Here is my framed Sweet Pea...please disregard my terrible photography skills.

Now, you knew there was something in it for you, didn't you? Jera and Brad have offered a $15.00 discount to all of my readers who wish to own one of their own Sticks and Stones creation. Simply visit their website and enter the following code: "Home". While you are there, have a look through their letters gallery. I am impressed that they are observant enough to notice all of those hidden letters within the architectural features sitting so quietly...

 
coompax-digital magazine