Friday, January 9, 2009

Goodbye Country Home...

Say it isn't so.

I am sad to announce the end of Country Home magazine. Yes, it is true...another great magazine has seen its dissolution and I, and many others I am sure, am so very sorry to see it fold. Not only was it home to some of my favourite style editors, past and present (Matthew Mead, Danny Seo, Mary Emmerling, among others) and former editor-in-chief, Carol Sheehan, but it was a medium through which I escaped to stoke my creativity. Its pages always hosted the most beautiful of homes, and inspiration awaited with every turn of the page. It also boasted many wonderful writers, photographers, and stylists, and if I could ever have chosen a dream job to pluck out of a hat, being a part of their team would be a top drawer choice.


With the cease of Country Home and my other favourite magazine, Mary Englebreit's Home Companion, it seems that no magazine is untouchable. The almighty dollar reigns, and a large readership is no longer enough to keep these periodicals afloat. The economy is affecting so many sectors; and I am so sorry to see so many people out of work, in all of the affected industries.
************************************************
For those within the industry, the saying that a closed door leads to an open window rings true right about now. In the words of Henry David Thoreau: "The world is but a canvas to the imagination."
In my own words: Obstacles give us pause: it is up to us to soldier on and let our dreams and talents lead the way.
 
coompax-digital magazine