Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good looking, but good for nothing...

Even though it's completely shallow to go for looks only, we've all flirted with it; and some of us have even fallen for rugged good looks with little substance. As visual beings, we are easily distracted by charm, chiseled features and attractive first impressions. It is not our fault - we are bombarded on a daily basis by the notion that beauty can camouflage imperfection.
My advice on this topic: resist temptation! Rebuff that gorgeous but good for nothing piece of...................................................furniture, lighting, you name it. Heed your mother's advice: do you want a chair that just sits there, empty - looking beautiful but so not comfortable or sturdy? So unreliable? Do you want to be the one to clean up after that retro-modern shag rug...shine the silver service for twelve that looks worse for the wear after just a few times out of the case, or dust the intricate light fixture with one hundred crystals? Basically, ask yourself, is the beauty of the object in question worth the extra work, discomfort or high maintenance? Does it give back in any way other than just setting pretty, waiting for you to compensate for its shortcomings?
It's up to you. But here are a few items I won't be investing my time, money or emotions in, any time soon:

This sofa/daybed by Jonathon Adler is drop-dead gorgeous, in my book. The colour is perfect, the lines are lovely...but look closely: just how functional is it? Sure, it would serve fine as a place to nap on, but would you really want someone curled up there unless they were adorned in pristine, white clothes. There is no room for dusty, bare feet or errant drool here! Then try using it as a sofa. What do you lean against, the wall? You see? Sometimes the most lovely pieces fool us. In fact, this piece might be the perfect metaphor for the handsome, but aloof, self-absorbed male (or female!). Sorry Jonathon. It is stunning, but a bit of a letdown...
Now, when I first laid eyes upon this photo, I was hard pressed to find any faults within its delicate beauty. Who could find fault with white, soft pink and great architectural details? Well, from a design standpoint, only a fool perhaps. But if you are an everyday homeowner, even without kids, would you really want to maintain the cleanliness those white, painted floors command...and deserve? Honestly, unless your hair was white - or both you and your spouse are bald - stray hairs, crumbs, tea splatters, even dust bunnies would look downright offensive on that floor. I know many of you adore painted white floors. I do, too. But I also know I am not committed enough, nor willing to take on the high-maintenance issues that go along with them.
The above photo shows a mirrored kitchen back splash (this was the best photo I could find). While this can look quite sleek and sophisticated, and reflect great light back into the room, all I can think of is do I really want to Windex my back splash each day, and do I want to see the back of my toaster and coffee maker? In a word, no!!
The photo below shows my worst nightmare: floor to ceiling stainless-steel kitchen cabinets. Have I told you lately how much I despise cleaning my stainless appliances? I don't even find this look particularly attractive; but I liken it to the flashy good-looking man who tries too hard...over-gelling his hair, tanning all year long, and wearing too much cologne. Throw in some manicures, teeth-whitening and other metro-sexual habits, and you don't want to go this high-maintenance!!

Now tell me, what will you not venture into in the quest for design beauty?? Does beauty always win out?

 
coompax-digital magazine