Sunday, February 15, 2009

Trip the light Fan-tastic!




What is that saying about turning lemons into lemonade?


Well, I think I did just that on Sunday afternoon. We outfitted Sophie's room with a fan when we built our house nearly four years ago. We decided on a fan as the summers here get quite muggy, and I am not comfortable with leaving her window open at night (a healthy dose of paranoia is a mother's prerogative...). Thus, I chose as unassuming a fan as I could find; but let's face it, fans are not known for their unique beauty!

So, after having fairly cool summers for two years in a row, I decided to continue to live on the wild side after dabbling in red during Sophie's room make-over. Perhaps I could do away with the fan and select something more fashionable? After a quick search, I did find a beauty of a fixture, replete with an etched glass drum shade (sooo pretty). But sadly, it was $250 - a figure I could not feel comfortable with spending for a variety of reasons, the main one being that it is a complete budget breaker!!!

Never one to be deterred by a lack of money, and in keeping with my theory that you can redecorate by shopping from your own home, I took a hand-me-down drum shade (given to me by my sister), combined it with a light bulb moment (which occurred one insomniac night) and fashioned a new light fixture for zero dollars!!!

One aching back (from reaching up to unscrew the fan blades), a blistered finger, and a few mild curse words later and I was the proud owner of this new light:

Realizing, as I gazed up at it, that I did not like the finial that came with the shade,

I remembered the pretty glass finials that came with the $3.99 curtain rod I purchased at the Christmas Tree Shop last spring. A quick change of a screw and it fit perfectly. So much better!!

This is the view of the light from directly beneath:

Not perfect, but good enough for me...and free!! Now don't worry - I will change out the ribbon for fishing line, but of course, I was too impatient to wait!! I like immediate results!!
******************************************
And I guess I'll have to shop for a floor model fan for those muggy nights this summer!!

Also, check out the windowless window seat we made for her room!

****************************************************************

**If you want to see other ten minute make-over ideas, head on over to Nesting Place:


And if you want great frugal tips and inspiration, check out this great round-up here:

 
coompax-digital magazine