Friday, February 27, 2009

Me, me, and more me.

photo source: squareamerica.com

I have been asked to write six interesting things about me by the talented (and fellow Canadian) Design Ties ladies. You know me, I always fail miserably with the whole blog awards and tag thingies... I have never been one to be great with rules. However, something about their request/command that I take part has prodded me into action. Fear not - after this one, I will go back to my lazy ways! Because really, there is very little that is interesting about me. I kind of wear myself on my sleeve, you know?

~Sigh~ Here goes (now is your chance to click on out of here):
1. I cannot physically dance in public unless I've had a few...and because I rarely have more than a glass of wine or two, dancing and me rarely partner up. But when we do, I can dance!!


(photo credit: Anne Taintor)

The rhythm, normally suppressed within me unleashes in a fury of Eighties and Nineties glory! Now, I'm not a geek -I won't moonwalk (although I know how) or do any dances that you see groups of drunken wedding guests doing in a circle or line. No, I pull out my Madonna and C&C Music Factory moves and squeal if the DJ puts on a 80's New Wave song by Depeche Mode or the like. Am I embarrassed the next day? Heck no! I am not that girl on the dance floor who thinks she's a Pussycat Doll!!! My next dance gig? My brother's wedding in July! Get your tickets now!!

2. As much as I love babies, I have to say I am really loving the early teenage years my sons are in. Their humour and insights make them so interesting to talk to (when they are up for talking). A few weeks ago, my sons and I stayed up till midnight discussing so many topics - dating, drugs, poverty, discrimination, school, their futures...I counsel and try to advise (and impart moral lessons, of course) and I love to hear their opinions on such matters. I pray the lines of communication will remain open and that they take the best paths for them.

But not leave me. I'm kidding. I think...

That said, I am also trying to brace myself for the scary stuff.
3. I measure my success as a parent by how my children treat others. I teach acceptance, not tolerance, as tolerance suggests the individual is doing something we must tolerate. I love that my eldest calls people out for discrimination and for treating others badly. He is like everyone else, flawed, but he is someone who gets the message...truly gets it. Sometimes I think he is more mature than me. His dad and I always say: he got the best bits of both of us and cast off the rest. He guides his younger, care-free brother and scolds him as needed. It is funny to watch sometimes. Other times, not so much!!!

And they face the wrath of me if they don't hold the door for others. Seriously, it makes my blood boil when anyone does that! The next worse thing is if you don't thank the person holding it for you. Adults do it all the time.


4. I think, think, think, and worry even more. Sometimes I wish I could silence my thought processes. Ideas pop into my head constantly and I seem to look at things lately and wonder how to improve, alter, recreate them, instead of just enjoying the view. I thought that a return to writing would quiet my creative yearnings, but instead they have just intensified. Conversely, I worry more than ever. I worry about the economy, war, pandemics, terrorism, family, financial security, people. When I read that back, I guess that is not so strange at all. I am sure most of you fret over the very same things...

5. Simplicity and simple things make me happy. Going for a drive with my husband, Tim Horton's coffee in hand; watching my boys play basketball, sitting down to Sunday dinner; playing Scrabble; walking and talking with a friend; spending time with my girlie; and shopping with the women in my family (shopping with anyone, really). I love the thrill of a great bargain, making things myself, and planning birthday parties for my kids. I don't wish for millions, someone to clean my house, or fancy cars. I dislike pretention, and would rather be heard than seen. I root for the underdog and admire people but never worship them. I give compliments honestly and can spot transparency from a mile away. I am intimidated by those with tons of self-esteem, and recognize it as my problem, not theirs. Big egos repel me, and I won't stroke them for all the tea in China. I care about others' problems, but lose respect when they don't wish others well. I am the fiercest of Mother Lions, and take no prisoners if my children are threatened.

6. I am embarrassed by how much talking I just did about myself, and I have just written my final me-me (is that what they are called?). I look forward to reading others', but the pot is empty for me. We are all interesting; but it is so much more fun to draw people out with questions, don't you think?
 
coompax-digital magazine