Friday, February 20, 2009

No, (gulp)...that's not mine.

I love order.
I'm hooked on it, in fact.
I love hitting the aisles at Homesense where they have all of the great storage solutions like beautiful baskets, boxes, hooks and more. I am not a cluttery girl at all. I find it torturous to sit down and have my cup of tea until the kitchen is tidied; and orderly spaces send a feeling of calm through every cell of my body until I am completely relaxed. I clean my "junk drawer" once a week.

So how did this happen to me?

I snapped this photo after Christmas and thought about making it a screen saver to shame myself for letting things get this bad. However, simply taking the photo and admitting my messiness spurred me into action. I plunked myself down on the floor and began the organization process from the bottom up. Out went the toys that had somehow landed in there, the Christmas wrap I didn't even know I had, picture frames that I could put to use, and extra linens, that I finally admitted I didn't need, were packaged up and put in a pile to donate.

Table linens were reorganized into a neat stack, bed linens were folded as best I can (I refuse to try to fold bottom sheets like Martha instructs), pillow cases wrapped around them (which is such a neat trick), and all of my fabric remnants were neatly folded and placed in a zippered plastic case that some new curtains came in. Curtains are also a problem for me: I keep buying them!
So a good hour later, and here is my new and improved linen closet. Not as pretty as some (certainly no cedar lined shelving!), but it gives me that calm feeling every time I reach in to retrieve what I need.

I can't believe I showed you that! Gives new meaning to "cleaning out my closet," doesn't it?

*****************************************

Head on over to see Julia at Hooked on Houses. She is hosting a round-up of what everyone is hooked on. I can't say I liked showing what I did, but don't worry...everyone else is showing something pretty!!

 
coompax-digital magazine